Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Blog Analysis

I analyzed the blog "Fresh off the Farm". I like this blog because it serves a variety of blog functions. Some of the posts are only applicable to people who know the author, who is somewhat anonymous. Other posts are more general and tell stories that are entertaining to anyone. I related to this blog specifically because it is written by someone with a similar background to me who is in a job similar to one I may someday find myself in. I don't know if the author is an MU Ag J grad, but she very well could be.

This blog occasionally flirts with giving too much information, something that I find a lot of personal blogs do. I guess that is a freedom and luxery of having a personal blog. I find that sometimes the information posted on blogs would have been better left in a private journal, then again, some posts serve as journals. Personally, I feel there are better ways of getting something off your chest than posting it where the entire world can read it. I think this is what separates personal blogs from journalistic ones. A journalist is not allowed to insert an opion into a story or include that they were having a crappy day at work when they wrote a story. This personal touch makes blogs fun, but is also what can lead to unnecessary information. Again, this blog does a pretty good job of staying away from too much TMI.

Overall, I really enjoy reading this blog. I can relate to a lot of the stories she tells and I think her job sounds like a blast, whatever it is. I like her features such as Farm Photo of the Week. I find it easy to laugh along with the author as she laughs at herself. I think the appeal in personal blogs in general is the basic human need to connect with others and share experiences. Even though most blogs are shared amoung strangers, I think they still serve a valuable purpose by allowing people to hear and be heard whether they are a journalist, or just a person with something to say.

3 comments:

Christine said...

I really related to your observationi that some bloggers share far more personal information than readers need, or want. As young people, we regularly hear about the dangers of posting "too much" on Facebook and Myspace pages. It seems that our blogs also belong on the list of pseudo-private spaces.

LC said...

I agree with Christine. While its fun write about your life and be able to say anything without a filter, it can also be dangerous. You hear horror stories about how people can stalk you through a variety of websites, why leave more information than you should and give the possibility a chance to happen?

Bill Allen said...

You picked a good blog, Taryn. Good analysis, too.